These are the instructions for the Harmony Holler Homestead elderberry syrup kit. The kit puts everything together so that you do not need to purchase each herb separately and comes pre-measured however I am including amounts needed here for anyone that has these herbs on hand or wishes to make more than one bottle of syrup. 🌿
Elderberry Syrup Kit Instructions
You will need:
- Herb kit from Harmony Holler Homestead
- 3 cups of apple juice (or water, but apple juice is better, especially organic)
- 1 cup of honey (organic, raw honey is best but any will do)
Herbs and amounts used (included in kit):
- 50 g dried elderberries
- 30 g rosehips
- 15 g cinnamon chips
- 7 g licorice root
- 5 g dried ginger
- 0.5 g cracked black pepper
- Place herbs and juice in a medium saucepan and heat over medium until it begins to simmer. You really want a simmer and not a full boil so adjust your heat accordingly.
- Stir and simmer for at least 20 minutes. Cooking for a longer time will not damage anything but you don’t want to allow the liquid to reduce too much. I like to let it simmer for 20 minutes, take it off the heat, cover and let steep for up to an hour for a stronger “brew”
- Allow the mixture to cool enough to handle then strain through a very fine sieve, cheesecloth or other finely woven clean fabric. Gather your cloth around the herbs and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. You want to have at least 2 cups saved from this. If you need to you may add more juice to make 2 cups total. Do NOT throw away your herbs yet!
- Add your honey to the elderberry/juice mixture and stir well.
- Store in a glass container (jar, bottle, etc) in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- 1 teaspoon daily to boost immunity
- 1 teaspoon every 2 - 3 hours at onset of illness
Now, you can take those herbs that we used earlier and make yourself a nice herbal tea. Just return them to the saucepan and add 2 cups of water, bring to a simmer, take off heat and allow to steep for 20 minutes. Strain, sweeten, and enjoy! There is still a bit of herbal magic left in them so why not use it up?
Take care of yourselves!